“Buy Local Buy Sumter” originated as the focus of the City of Livingston, with the help of the Sumter County AL Chamber of Commerce and the University of West Alabama to spur the local economy. It has been recently been adopted by the Chamber of Commerce to include all of Sumter County.
The objective of this campaign is to try to get the citizens of Sumter County to shop locally first, both in retail and service industries.
Livingston Mayor Tom Tartt said, “most local residents do not realize the value of shopping at home first. Some 80 percent of local employees are employed by local merchants and $.68 of every dollar is re-circulated in the community. If everyone in this community and this county looked to their local merchants first, before they drove out of town [to shop] for what ever it is, you’d be surprised [to see how] much better your services and your overall community could be helped just by giving them a chance.”
Supporting our local small businesses:
- Austins Steakhouse
- Coffee Shop on Monroe
- Diamond Jims
- Dogwood Florist, Gifts & Clothier
- Farm & Builders Supply
- it’s all in the past antiques
- Livingston Auto Parts
- Sumter Supply
- The Drug Store
- The Studio/SH Designs Art Studio
- York Drug Store
For more information on the Buy Local campaign or to see how you can become a part, please contact the Chamber office.
Tornado Victims Relief Effort
Items needed in the event of a tornado:
- Non-perishable food items,
- Clothes *must be boxed and labeled*,
- Household items
- Baby items,
- Garbage bags
- Gloves and dust masks
Possible Drop-off locations:
- Livingston Community Center
- UWA (Wallace Hall, Kelly Land Hall)
To make monetary donations in Sumter County through the Sumter County Alabama Chamber of Commerce and, make your check payable to ‘Sumter County Disaster Relief Fund’ and mail it to the Sumter County Chamber of Commerce, P.O. Box 1619, Livingston, AL 35470
Make check payable to American Red Cross West Alabama Chapter and mail it to the Chamber at P.O. Box 1619, Livingston, AL 35470
**monetary donations to non-profits are tax-deductible**
- The Livingston Community Center – contact Allison Tucker at 205-652-1580, email email@example.com or Johnny Meadows at 205-652-9773
- Clean-up/debris removal – contact Allison Tucker at 205-652-1580 or Geiger City Hall at 205-455-2811
- Assist with construction or repairs: contact Allison Tucker at 205-652-1580; contact FEMA at 1-800-621-3362, www.ema.alabama.gov ; or sign-up at www.servealabama.gov.
- The Childern of the Village (a 501 C 3 non-profit) have a local foodbank and clothing closet. For more information, you can email them at COTV7@aol.com or call 205-652-2821
If You Need Help:
For FEMA assistance: register by calling 1-800-621-3362 or online at www.disasterassistance.gov
Housing/Shelters: Contact 211, United Way’s Information and Referral Service, for information on low-cost housing options in West Alabama.
For people with disabilities: If you are disabled and affected by the storms, call Beth Blaylock at 205-292-316
For more information on how to help Sumter County and other communities, please call Allison Brantley at the Chamber office.