Sumter County Disaster Relief

Tornado Victims Relief Effort

If You Want To Help: 

You can still help the victims of April’s tornadoes by donating the following items:

  • Non-perishable food items,
  • Towels,
  • Clothes *must be boxed and labeled*,
  • Toiletries,
  • Household items
  • Baby items,
  • Garbage bags
  • Gloves and dust masks

 Drop-off locations:

  • Livingston Community Center – Monday through Friday 7am to 4pm and
  • UWA (Wallace Hall, Kelly Land Hall)

 To make monetary donations in Sumter County(Geiger) through the Sumter County Alabama Chamber of Commerce and, make your check payable to ‘Sumter County Disaster Relief Fund’ or ‘Town of Geiger’ and mail it to the Sumter County Chamber of Commerce, P.O. Box 1619, Livingston, AL 35470


Make check payable to American Red Cross West Alabama Chapter and mail it to the Chamber at P.O. Box 1619, Livingston, AL 35470

To make monetary donations in Tuscaloosa through The West Alabama Chamber Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization through the Chamber of Commerce, make your check payable to ‘Tuscaloosa Disaster Relief Fund’ and send it to the Sumter County Chamber (P.O. Box 1619) or mail to P.O. Box 020410, Tuscaloosa, AL 35402

 **monetary donations to non-profits are tax-deductible**

To Volunteer:

  • The Livingston Community Center – contact Allison Tucker at 205-652-1580, email or Johnny Meadows at 205-652-9773
  • Clean-up/debris removal – heavy equipment is needed – contact Allison Tucker at 205-652-1580 or Geiger City Hall at 205-455-2811
  • Assist with construction or repairs: contact Allison Tucker at 205-652-1580; contact FEMA at 1-800-621-3362, ; or sign-up at
  • Pickens County (has contacted me) and will also need volunteers for physical labor through the summer; they also need the following: any type of lumber of varying sizes, work clothes, and building materials.

**The Childern of the Village (a 501 C 3 non-profit) have a local foodbank and clothing closet.  For more information, you can email them at or call 205-652-2821.**

For more information on how to help Sumter County and other communities, please call Allison Tucker at the Chamber office or visit

Want To Help Tuscaloosa

If You Need Help:

For FEMA assistance:  register by calling 1-800-621-3362 or online at

Housing/Shelters: Contact 211, United Way’s Information and Referral Service, for information on low-cost housing options in West Alabama.

For people with disabilities:  If you are disabled and affected by the storms, call Beth Blaylock at 205-292-3167

Medicaid Information: The Alabama Medicaid agency has started emergency procedures to help clients affected by the tornadoes.  Medicaid recipients should work with pharmacies to get emergency 72 hour supplies of covered outpatient prescription drugs.  If a recipient does not have a Medicaid card or does not know his or her ID number, providers or recipients can call and get the number.  The Alabama Medicaid Automated Voice Response System number is 1-800-727-7848.  Choose the eligibility prompt, in put the provider number and then ask for the recipient’s social security number.  A recipient can call the Alabama Medicaid Recipient Call Center at 1-800-362-1504 and give Medicaid his or her social security number.

Storm Resources and Information:

Storm Resources